Originally published at: Malta Citizenship by Investment | GoVisaFree
- You are eligible to apply for The Malta Citizenship if you are a non-EU/EEA country citizen with a clear criminal record and over 18 years old. The Maltese government conducts due diligence for each applicant to ensure that they have clean backgrounds.
- Investors need to fulfill a combination of the government contribution, residential property requirement, and investment in government bonds to be eligible for Maltese citizenship. Qualified investment type details and the investment thresholds are listed below.
- The process starts with an e-residency application. You need to submit your citizenship application after you obtain your residency. Following the principal approval, they issue your passport once you fulfill a year of residency and the qualified investments for Maltese citizenship.
What are the qualified investment types for Malta Citizenship by Investment?
- €650,000 for Main Applicant
- €25,000 per each dependent including spouse and children under the age of 18
- €50,000 per each dependent including unmarried children between 18 and 27 and dependent parents and grandparents over 55
In accordance with the above, the applicant will also need to either:
- Acquire a residential property for a minimum amount of €350.000, OR
- Rent a residential property for a minimum of €16.000 annual rent
The Property needs to be kept for at least 5 years. It can be disposed or rented out at the end of the 5th year in Maltese citizenship.
The applicant has to make an investment in government bonds for at least € 150.000. It can be sold at the end of the 5th year in Maltese citizenship.
Qualified Investments for Malta Citizenship by InvestmentThere are three different investment types listed under qualified investments. You should fulfill all three investment requirements to be eligible for citizenship.
The government contribution is a one-time donation to the Maltese government. Property investment and government bond investments are the investment types you can exit at the end of 5 years. The property investment should be residential real estate.
Our team has wide experience in citizenship applications and they can assist you during the whole process. You may reach out to our team for citizenship applications and citizenship-oriented investment solutions.
Can I include my family members into my Malta Citizenship by Investment application?
Application along with family members is called family reunification. The listed family members below are eligible to apply for the Malta Citizenship by Investment Program along with your application:
- Unmarried children under the age of 27,
- Dependent parents and grandparents over the age of 55.
How long does it take to get citizenship in Malta?
Maltese government issues applicants’ passports at the end of 1st year in Malta residency if the below conditions are met:
- Principal approval for citizenship granted by the government
- Required investment types are fulfilled by the investor
Does Malta accept dual citizenship?
Yes, you can keep Maltese passport as a second citizenship if your home country allows dual citizenship.
Is there any language requirement for Malta Citizenship by investment Program?
The program does not require you to pass any language test to be eligible for the citizenship.
When should I complete the qualified investments for Malta Citizenship by Investment?
If principal approval is issued, outstanding contribution is to be paid within 25 days. The property and investment requirements are to be met within 4 months