Originally published at: Portugal Golden Visa Statistics - Updated in April 2022 | Go VisaFree
Portugal Golden Visa is a highly favored residency by investment program in our community. Thanks to its multiple investment options, low stay requirements, and profitable nature, it’s very popular among digital nomads, frequent travelers, and families.
Portugal Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) releases the monthly and cumulative data for Golden Visa. Here are Portugal Golden Visa statistics as of February 2022.
Portugal Golden Visa Statistics for March 2022
According to the latest data released by SEF at the end of March 2022,
- 73 main applicants received their Golden Visa,
- 72 family members accompanied the main applicants as their dependents.
Below is the breakdown of the nationalities for March:
- 14 United Stated
- 11 China
- 5 South Africa
- 4 United Kingdom
- 4 Brazil
In terms of investment type, here is the breakdown for March:
- 51 applicants opted to proceed with real estate acquisition
- 19 applicants for €500,000+ properties
- 31 applicants for €350,000 renovated properties
- 22 applicants opted to go for capital transfer
- 22 applicants for Portuguese Golden Visa funds
- 2 applicant for capital transfer
Portugal Golden Visa has attracted €34,609,650 into Portugal in March.
All Time Portugal Golden Visa Statistics: 2012-2022
Nationalities That Have Applied for Portugal Golden Visa (2012-2022)
Since the start of the Golden Visa program in Portugal, the Chinese have continuously been the main source of applications. Brazil is second in terms of nationalities, followed by Turkey.
The table below shows the nationalities that have acquired a Portugal Golden Visa between 2012 and January 2022.
Since October 2012, 10,515 investors have received their Golden Visas and 17,498 family members have accompanied them. €6,224,560,351.18 has been invested in Portugal Golden Visa since then.
Investment in Real Estate: 9,780 residence permits
- Real Estate / €500,000: 8,658 residence permits
- Real Estate / €350,000 Urban Rehabilitation: 1,122 residence permits
Capital Transfer: 715 residence permits
- Capital Transfer in a Portuguese Bank: 511 residence permits
- Donation to research activities: 1 residence permit
- Investment Fund: 194 residence permits
- Capital Transfer + Creation of Jobs: 6 residence permits
- Donation to cultural heritage in Portugal: 3 residence permits
Creation of 10 Full Time Jobs: 20 residence permits
Changes to Portugal Golden Visa (effective as of January 2022)
In February 2020, the Portuguese Parliament passed a budget proposal that aims to modify the Portuguese Golden Visa program. The parliament’s goal is to encourage investment in low-density areas, urban rehabilitation, employment creation, and cultural heritage preservation.
According to this;
- The minimum investment amount for the Investment Fund option increased to €500,000 from €350,000.
- The minimum investment amount for the Capital Transfer option increased to €1.5 million from €1 million.
- Only property investments made in low-density areas of Portugal are going to qualify for a Golden Visa. This means that purchasing residential property in Lisbon or Porto no longer qualifies. However, commercial properties still do.
The changes to the Portugal Golden Visa took effect on January 1, 2022.
What Else You Need To Know
As we’ve briefly mentioned in the introduction, Portugal Golden Visa is highly popular in our community, especially among the ones from the US. Even one of them, Barbara was so kind to share her journey with us and our readers. Make sure you check out her Portugal Golden Visa journey for the first-hand experience. If you have any questions for her, please feel free to drop us an email and we’ll be more than happy to introduce you to each other.