Portuguese or Malta residency?

is there anyone who can briefly explain both schemes. My family and I are loooking for a quick EU residency. Donations are involved in Malta’s scheme, Portugal’s is mainly investment…any recommendations

1 Like

Malta has two programs: one is a residency by investment program and the other one is a citizenship by investment program.

I assume you are asking about the citizenship program in Malta.

Malta’s CBI route is named ‘Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment’ (MEIN). It targets HNWIs. The investor needs to make a minimum contribution of 600,000 euros to the national development fund set up by the government and prove 36 months of residency.
OR, there is another route which requires a contribution of €750,000 and evidence of 12 months residency. Investors must also contribute €50,000 per each additional dependent included in their application. In addition to the contribution, investors must also invest a further €700,000 into residential real estate, or enter into a rental agreement at a minimum value of €16,000 p.a which must be maintained for five years. A compulsory donation of €10,000 to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare, or artistic non-governmental approved organization or society is mandatory.

As for the Portugal Golden Visa, it allows you and your family to become Portuguese residents in exchange for a qualifying investment. There are multiple investment types you can make.

You can find more information on GVF’s PGV article.

2 Likes

@Timster thanks. portugal golden visa is obviously more affordable, although it takes longer to get citizenship. we’ll have a closer look at both schemes…

1 Like