Safest Countries for Women

Hey everyone! I’m planning a trip for later this year and I’m curious to know which countries are considered the safest for women travelers. What has been your experience? Thanks in advance! :earth_africa::two_hearts:

@GlobalGoddess Iceland is definitely one of the safest countries for women! It consistently ranks high in gender equality and safety indexes. People there are friendly and respectful. Been there twice, and I felt safe exploring even at night. :blue_heart::iceland:

I second @TravelDiva on Iceland! Also, Japan :jp: has been super safe in my experience. Great public transportation, and I never felt threatened walking alone. :train2: Plus, they have women-only train cars during rush hour!

New Zealand is another excellent option. Beautiful landscapes, friendly locals, and very low crime rates. :national_park::new_zealand: Just remember to take the usual precautions, like not leaving your belongings unattended.

Hi @GlobalGoddess! I’ve found Scandinavian countries, like Denmark and Norway, to be safe and welcoming for women. :airplane: People are generally respectful, and there are good support systems in place for any emergencies.

Adding to the list, Singapore is also worth considering. It’s known for being one of the safest cities in the world, with strict laws and low crime rates. You’ll be surrounded by a mix of cultures, and everyone speaks English.

@GlobalGoddess, just chiming in to say that although there are safe countries, it’s always best to be cautious and vigilant. Trust your instincts and do some research on cultural norms before you go. Safe travels! :luggage::earth_africa:

@GlobalGoddess, Portugal is another great option! The locals are warm and welcoming, and I never felt unsafe, even when wandering the narrow streets of Lisbon at night. Just be aware of pickpockets in crowded tourist areas. :portugal:

Don’t forget Canada! :maple_leaf: Our friendly neighbors to the north are known for their safety and politeness. Plus, there’s so much to see and do, from bustling cities like Toronto and Vancouver to stunning natural wonders like Banff National Park. :mountain_snow::canada:

In my experience, Australia has been quite secure for solo female travelers! :blush: I traveled the east coast with a backpack and encountered no problems. Just be mindful of the animals! :koala:

Ladies who are nomads, in which country did you feel the safest? I’d love to learn about your adventures! Safe - Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Norway. OK - Italy, Spain, Ecuador, Peru, Portugal, Canada, US, Mexico. Unsafe - India, Morocco. Edit: Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and insights!!

@SoloSue, it’s disappointing to hear about India being on the unsafe list. :pensive:

@SoloSue, I felt extremely unsafe in Morocco, and I’ve heard that India isn’t ideal for solo women either. :grimacing:

@SoloSue, your list is intriguing! I agree that it varies depending on the city and one’s appearance. I felt safe in Morocco, though I did receive attention from boys when I exercised or wore athleisure. Understanding the stereotypes people have about your nationality can be helpful. (As a reference, I’m an afrolatina with light caramel/olive skin and 3b-4b curls, worn in an Afro or a bun.) :tipping_hand_woman:t4::earth_africa:

Canada? Haha, better avoid King West! :joy:

I reside in Spain, and it’s true that many uneducated/poor individuals harass people who are alone (primarily girls) in towns at night. This occurs not just in my town, but in many other cities and neighborhoods as well. The majority of these people are under 25. :confused:

Safest - Japan, Switzerland, Iceland, Estonia, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Denmark. Safe with some concerns - Germany, Netherlands, Panama, Botswana, Albania, United Kingdom, China (mainland), Uruguay, Costa Rica, United States. Unsafe - India, Haiti, Egypt, Brazil, Myanmar, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Honduras, Congo. *These are all based on my personal feelings after spending at least 3-4 weeks in each country. :earth_asia:

Thailand and Vietnam require caution, so be mindful of your surroundings (though this probably applies to most places). :eyes::earth_asia:

@SageSafari, it’s interesting to see Japan listed as one of the safest countries considering it’s known for having a high molestation rate. I rarely felt as unsafe there as anywhere else, constantly had men follow or grope me in public. Glad your experience was different, when did you go? :thinking:

I’d like to add Belgium to the list of safe countries for women. I’ve traveled there solo several times and never had any issues. Just be cautious in crowded areas and public transportation, as pickpocketing can be an issue. :belgium::chocolate_bar: